[rescue] SS20, hypersparc 125 x 4 upgrade won't boot

root srjones10 at cox.net
Sat Aug 3 15:17:06 CDT 2002

I have unpgraded a working  sparc 20 running two 75 MHz supersparc CPUs
to a four CPU configutation using 2  625 series Bridgepoint hypersparc
125 MHz CPU modules with 1MB cache per CPU.  I followed the routine to
the letter in the documentation provided, the original Bridgepoint
instalation book.  The boot PROM was upgraded to v2.25R, system clock
speed left set at the 40/50 jumper setting, and the diag-switch
parameter on the boot prom set to false as instructed before the
hardware swapped out.  The  boot PROM in my system is otherwise set at
the default values.

Solaris 8, current media kit edition, was installed on the system and
working properly prior to the upgrade.

After attempting to reboot the new CPUs, the system monitor seemd to
properly identify 4 x RT625 CPUs installed, Keyboard, system memory
(448MB), and the network address.  It didnot give a tabular listing of
the CPUs as it did previously when beginning the Solaris boot sequence,
then reels of a long sequence of diagnostics and crashes to a blank
(black) screen.  Shortly thereafter, the system monitor attempts a
reboot and the whole process repeats in an endless loop of unsuccessful
attempts to boot.
It seems the change in system configuration is crashing the OS.  The
original docs outline necessary kernel patches for earlier SunOS and
Solaris 1.x, and various 2.x kernels.  Is there incompatibility with
this system config and Solaris 8?   Do I need to reinstall the OS to
detect and  operate with the 4 CPU configuration?  I Searched various
sources and could find no documentation of compatibility issues.

Any help appreciated.

Steve