[rescue] Re: Re: Re: OH YEA??? [was: Re: Ultra?]

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Aug 3 12:34:32 CDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Actually squid gets quite a bit of benefit from SCSI disk if it's a
> heavily-used unit.

Agreed.

>   (This is why I usually ignore the IDE vs. SCSI wars around
> here...I've seen the difference in a very real-world situation, and no
> amount of weenies-wanting-to-sell-me-on-cheap-IDE-disks conversations
> are going to change that)

Well, I don't try to sell people on IDE in a general setting, but there
are cases, including several I've set up, where it's a suitable choice.

I had 180 light users behind my cache, and found IDE (Solaris 2.5.1, I
think... no newer than 2.6) was quite acceptable, and better than going
directly out the company's net. If I were caching my entire campus I'd
have gone with a beefier machine and SCSI.

For the record (and this is obviously not directed at Dave), I'm still a
SCSI bigot, just a more passive one. I don't yet have an IDE Sun at home.
Might get a U5 for memory testing purposes, but my Suns are all SCSI. Same
with the Alphas and MIPS and PARISC boxes around. And I'm not hacking my
laptop to put SCSI into it (got the Adaptec cardbus card and docking
station if I need SCSI there).

:)