OH YEA??? [was: Re: [rescue] Ultra?]

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Sat Aug 3 10:07:01 CDT 2002

On Saturday 03 August 2002 03:05 am, you wrote:
> > OTOH, I can see a place for ID E drives, it's in RAID arrays.  You build
> > a cabinet, stick ten or twenty 200 gig drives in it, each on it's own
> > dedicated channel, and run them through a big cached RAID Processor...
> > and have it speak SCSI or FC-AL out the back so you can connect it to
> > 'real' computers. you use fault-tolerant RAID setups so when the drives
> > crap out, you can replace them (hot-swap) with equally cheap, filthy
> > replacement drives and throw the old drives in the rubbish tip where they
> > probably belonged in the first place.
>
> raidweb.com

Interesting, but I'd rather have software to do this myself.

Has anyone produced a program that will allow a *nix host to emulate a SCSI
disk (when looked at by another host on a SCSI bus)?

Or how about OpenSource SAN Solutions?
Surely there's a Linux project out there for serving disk space up on an
FC-AL SAN...

George