OH YEA??? [was: Re: [rescue] Ultra?]

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Sat Aug 3 05:10:43 CDT 2002

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Cheaper?  Yes.  I've never had to pay for a SPARCstation.  But praytell
> what do you think makes them "better"?

There are 4 reasons why the U1 is a better machine than a U5 or U10:

1. Onboard SCSI. No need to waste an expansion slot to get what should
have been there from the start.

2. Sbus. There are pros & cons to both PCI & Sbus, but there are more
cards available cheaper (on the used market) in Sbus than PCI (for use
in a Sun)

3. quality of construction. The U1's were made when Sun still cared
about the quality of their machines. The U5 & U10's were built using
cheaper parts that are more on line with home PCs than Unix
workstations. I've owned U5's U10's, and U1's, so I know how the cases
are built.

4. (most important reason ) :) If you want to buy a reconditioned U1 all
you have to do is email me, I've got several systems for sale. :)

--
-Mike