[rescue] Possible DYNIX system rescue (Sequent NUMA-Q 2000)

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Aug 3 00:53:19 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 21:57, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> Hi Lads
>
> Does anyone here have knowledge or experience with Sequent NUMA-Q 2000
> servers running DYNIX/ptx? I've found a possible rescue on a 32-way Pentium
> Pro system (circa 1997) and before yesterday I'd never even heard of Sequent.

I'm not familiar with anything so new, unfortunately.  Mine was
configured as an 8-way 386-16MHz.  Stomping slow machine it was, too.

> Is this an Intel MPS v1.4 compliant system? Is there a suitable COTS OS for
> this system, or is it completely bespoke?

There's nothing Intel about it, except for the procs, AFAIK.  You're
stuck with Dynix/PTX, AFAIK.  IBM has fired -all- of the old sequent
people, except one group (system support, or something).  One of my
buddies designed and wrote pretty good sized parts of Dynix/PTX, but now
he's coaching triathletes.  Tech sucks here.  Did you managed to get
Dynix/PTX media for it, or does it have an OS installed?  That should be
a very fast system, and NUMA is seriously cool stuff.  I'll probably
talk to Ernie tomorrow, and see if he's got any sources of info.
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>