[rescue] IBM P200 momitor on SGI or Sun?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Aug 3 00:03:59 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Eric Hall wrote:

> When I asked for advice on this list about a monitor for an SGI, I was
> advised to pick up a IBM P200 - well I did, and guess what? It does
> not work on my I^2. Just for fun, I hooked it up to my Ultra 30 also.
> Doesn't work there, either.

That's -bizarre-.  I'm using one right now and it syncs up to my PC
(GeForce 2), my Octane (SI), my Indigo2 (SI) my U10 (m64 and PGX32), my
SPARCclassic (CG3), my PowerMac 7300 (crappy onboard video), and numerous
laptops.  The connector on the rear is 13w3, so I don't even need any
adaptors for the Unix kit.  Does your model have the 13W3 or HD15
connector on the rear?  It's possible that they made one line of P200
monitors for their PCs and one for their AIX boxen, but it'd be -evil- of
IBM to give them the same model number, especially if the sync logic
differs.

The one I have is one of the most flexible monitors I've ever encountered,
which is why I recommended it to you.  I'm terribly sorry that you aren't
having the same experience.  I also suggested it because RS/6000 systems
and SGIs use the same general sync system, and I was under the impression
that the P200 was designed for use with RS/6000 boxes (especially since
mine has the correct connector).

> I saw this monitor hooked up and working perfectly to a peecee when I
> picked it up. So, either the advice was wrong, or I'm missing a trick.
> Which is it?

For me, there's only a trick required when connecting it to the Octane.
When I connect the monitor to an SGI, I have to make sure that I'm using a
13W3 cable -without- the smaller pins[1].  The SGI sends signals over
those lines which the P200 interprets as sync info.  Since the real sync
info is sent over the green coax connector, you only need the three coax
"pins" to get the full signal.

[1] The one I use is a regular Sun cable that has one end "modified" with
    a pair of needlenose pliers to not have any of the smaller pins.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)