Memory (was RE: [rescue] Ultra?)

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Aug 2 20:29:12 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, George Adkins wrote:

>> >3.  Number to make a "set"--SS10/20 use singles, U1 uses pairs,
>> >    U2 requires sets of 4 DSIMMs, etc.
>>
>> Not true.  I have worked on a number of U2s, and had one on
>> my desk to test memory.  U2s can take single DSIMMs, but they
>> can interleave, so it's better to use sets.
>>
>Well, guess who just pegged the Bull$h*t-o-meter.

I've been known to do that before. :-/

>I should have known better, The Sun Documentation is usually right about
>things like this, but I figured, "Hey, I can learn something new..."

I've found the opposite to be the case, and you usually don't find it
out except in critical moments by grilling SEs.

>So, what Model of Ultra 2 were you using to "test memory" hmm?

Couldn't tell you, as it's been well over 2 years, and I haven't
touched one since.  (The last place was all brand-new Netras, not
a shred of old Sun hardware in the place.)

I'll put it down to faulty memory (mine).  Maybe it's memory in
the first 4, and then not required after that?  I only have an
SS20 (and an Axil 320 *bleh*), or I'd have double-checked myself
before mailing in the first place.  That'll teach me to stick my
foot in my mouth.

More apologies--
=Nadine=