Memory (was RE: [rescue] Ultra?)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 2 14:57:14 CDT 2002

> ...remember
> there is no difference b/w Sparc 10, Sparc 20, Ultra I, Ultra II,
> Ultra 30, Ultra 60, E250, E450 memory kits, other than some require
> memory in pairs.  You can get 128MB sticks for ~75 each or less.

  *bzzt*

Grossly incorrect statement--most folks reading the list know this
(I hope) but just so it gets into the archives, there are three
problems:
1.  Memory speed--memory for SS10 is 80ns, and it does not IME
    work reliably on faster systems.  SS20 and up memory is 60ns
    and works happily on SS10s as well.
2.  Supported sizes--SS10 can use 16 or 64 (32 only with very later
    OBP revisions), SS20 can use 16/32/64 but no larger, U1 adds
    support for 128MB DSIMMs, etc.
3.  Number to make a "set"--SS10/20 use singles, U1 uses pairs,
    U2 requires sets of 4 DSIMMs, etc.

Please try to keep postings from sounding authoritative when they're
incorrect.

Your fine, should you choose to accept it, is one pair of 128MB
DSIMMs or one refurbished 36GB drive--I can rarely touch the
prices you mentioned here in Maryland (eBay's about the best bet
and the prices are 20%-30% higher).

--
Rip Loomis                         Senior Systems Security Engineer
SAIC Secure Business Solutions Group         www.saic.com/securebiz