[rescue] Question: VME SBC on EBay

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Fri Aug 2 07:02:53 CDT 2002

We just finished the VITA-2 Enhanced Transceiver Logic and the VITA-1.5 Two
Edge Source Synchronous Transfer standards for VME. TI is now making the
SN74VMEH22501 transceiver that supports incedent wave switching on standard
VME backplanes. With the Motorola TEMPE VMEbus interface chip you can get
320 MBytes/sec with VME.

We just finished a standard that describes how to use the IPMI/IPMB
management protocols on a I2C bus to manage VME boards, power supplies, and
chassis.

We are working on VITA-41 VXS. This puts a TYCO RT connector in the middle
of the board and backplane and supports a serial switched fabric at speeds
if several Gb/s and will support 10G Ethernet across the backplane.

Draft versions of any of the standards that we are working on are available
at http://www.vita.com/vso/draft_stds.html

>On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 12:04:11PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>   VME is pretty big nowadays...keep in mind, it has evolved along with
>> the rest of the computing world.  Just like cars, there's "old" VME
>> that's pretty much obsolete, and there's "new" VME which kicks all
>> kinds of ass.
>
>Other than  the move to 6U, how has it changed?  What's the bus
>bandwidth on a modern system?  And where is VME used these days other
>than SBCs and embeded systems?
>
>--
>Joshua D. Boyd

Michael Thompson