[rescue] Update [was: Calling HP Laserjet experts]

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Aug 1 18:38:26 CDT 2002

>   Think of it as a _challenge_, not a problem! :) Your mission, should you
>choose to accept it, is to hook up a token ring segment to your Ethernet
>LAN.
>
>   You could buy an IBM 2210-24M ethernet/TR router for about $500 on Ebay.
>
>   You could buy a 3Com 3C510600 Superstack II Switch 2000 TR for about
>$300. I've got some FDDI cards coming for one of those, which I bought

Fun ideas all, but this is at work, so I'd have quite the time convincing
'em to spend $300+ to network a ~$100 printer.

>   Or you could pull an old PC from your junk pile, put Ethernet and token
>ring in it, add the Linux/BSD of your choice, and route packets that way
>for a minimal outlay of money. But that's entirely too sane. :)

If I'm gonna tie it to a machine, I could also do what I'm doing now...just
run the parallel port over to a winblows machine and share the printer.
Tacky, I know, but dammit, I wanted to see it print, today!  Now if I had
an sbus token ring adapter (with OpenBSD support), I'd consider this plan.

Surely someone's got a spare jet direct card for cheap, or I can (maybe?)
snipe one off ebay.

newell