[rescue] Onyx question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 1 16:46:49 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:35:06PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On August 1, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Does anyone know how many kilowatt/hours a day a deskside onyx re2 with
> > some reasonable disks draws?  The load cylce would probably be
> > something like 4 hours a day in use, the rest idling or doing it's own
> > processes.  How hard is it to rearrange the house keeping cron jobs to
> > run whenever the machine is on after a certain period of time since
> > the last run, so that I could leave the beast off most of the time.
>
>   My ChallengeDM (same chassis) with two 250MHz R4400 CPUs, 512MB of
> RAM, and a full load of 9GB and 18GB disks pulled about seven amps if
> memory serves.

That is possibly fairly close to what an Onyx with RE2 would do them
(assuming that an RE2 doesn't draw much more power than a lot of HDs
do).  So, anyone have a handy method for converting a steady pull of
7A to kilowatt/hours per day, since someone so kindly pointed out
recently that in AC, Watts doesn't equal volts time amps.

--
Joshua D. Boyd