[rescue] Re: 224 mhz sparc 20?

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Thu Aug 1 14:00:54 CDT 2002

>  > > I guess its just that the hype is different.  Its much more
>>  > evolutionary these days.  I remember some of the massive jumps made
>>  > in the late 80s, early 90s and thinking "WOW".  Today we see going
>>  > from 64 cpus max to 106 cpus max and its much less exciting.
>>
>>    Well yes, I suppose I have to agree.
>
>I don't know.  That fully loaded GS320 I saw Tuesday was pretty
>exciting.

I'm not saying that it isn't exciting.  I love seeing and using big
hardware (just got my biggest up and running).  Its that the spirit
of the time is gone.  There was a spirit... a bubble perhaps... but a
spirit of massive innovation.  To me an old PCI Power Mac is an
amazing piece of hardware. It was a massive jump that pushed the
limits of the technology.  The Ultra 1 and 2 are the same way in that
it was just this massive step forward.  The fundamental level of
change from an ultra 2 or ultra 60 to a sunblade 1000 isn't near what
it was from a sparc 20 to an ultra 2 or ultra 60.  The work arounds
and hacks and such that people did to deal with an unbalanced system
are great to me.  These days we just throw more cpus or more GHz at
the problem and consider it solved.

daniel