[rescue] Must have peripherals [was Re: worth it for thedisks?]

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 1 10:40:44 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:35:32PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I'm guessing that it is some proprietary language and perhaps even
> > connection, since he mentions having a PM6100 as a RIP.
>
>   I don't know what language it speaks, it doesn't seem to be
> documented anywhere.  It connects to the host computer via SCSI and is
> driven by a Photoshop export plugin.

That kinda sucks.  I bet there would still be a way to rig up network
printing to it though...  I'm thinking network to ghostscript to .tiff
to watcher script that has photoshop trigger the plugin.  This
probably would require a pretty new version of photoshop though.

An alternative question would be if this is one of those photoshop
plugins that can work with other programs that claim to support
photoshop plugins, or if it is one of the plugins that really only
works with photoshop.

But you probably haven't tried any of that thinking that several hours
of programming isn't worth it to save a minute on printing to the
thing, especially since I bet it isn't a printer you use daily or even
weekly (though of course I could be wrong).  But where's your geek
spirit? (I know, I know, tied up in more productive tasks, and then
there are always the crays).

--
Joshua D. Boyd