[rescue] Scanning lots of paper

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Thu Aug 1 04:36:15 CDT 2002

When I lived in the "real world"(TM), I ran a scanning center for a
Pharmaceutical company. We had six scanners, and running them 2 shifts
a day 5 days a week, did about 1.5 million pages a year.

We were able to get 14 pages a minute per scanner, including loading,
sorting, recording, etc.

We then combined them with data files, printed them to images, and printed
the images with a farm of HP IIISi printers running 24/7. 90% of the
software was designed and written by me.

The images and paper were submitted to the FDA. The last job I did was
to produce a "small document", 60,000 pages, but they let us submit only
9,000 on paper and the rest as images.

I pity the poor guys who had to read it.* :-)

Geoff.

* Canada's Health protection Bureau was worse, not only did they want
 paper and images, but they had clerks compare each image to it's corresponding
 piece of paper.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.