[rescue] sm?1 vs sm?1-2

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Apr 30 10:03:47 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 07:30:49AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> No slouch, but go for an SM71 instead if you can.  The speed increase is
> significantly greater than the increase from SM51->SM61.

I got out bid while I was in class.  I just want a couple of CPUs for my
4/600s.  Perhaps something like one fast single processor one, and a slower
quad setup, and see which is best for software raid5.  If that machine does
nothing other than serve files to a network over nfs, smb, and whatever apple
uses, then surely it shouldn't take much CPU power to saturate a pair of
100mbit connections from a raid5 file system.  Isn't that what Auspex did?

--
Joshua D. Boyd