[rescue] HP L-Class console (possibly OT)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 30 08:40:29 CDT 2002

> Well what I was thinking was that an honest to god xterminal
> would look jsut
> like X on console, and should work in roughly the same way,
> unless there are
> specific reasons why that wouldnt work. Honestly if the
> customer is of that
> type would they even know the difference?

They wouldn't know the difference--but the desktop installation
is *really* p-poor and likely won't function correctly through
an XTerm + xdm.  Also, when someone traces the wires and the
X connections are going over the network, there
might be some issues--since one of the other requirements
for the operational systems is that X sessions aren't allowed
to go over the network unencrypted.  Since the L1000 is in
a test lab, it's possible that the deviation would be
acceptable.  (There also isn't a "real" XTerminal there and
I'm not really looking forward to turning an Ultra2 into
an XTerm.)

I gather, then, that there probably isn't a way to do what
I'm trying to.  It's a pity, really--even more so since the
L1000 has languished in a corner since it was new, and will
probably go back to languishing if I can't find a solution
that everyone likes.

  --Rip