[rescue] HP L-Class console (possibly OT)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 30 08:11:21 CDT 2002

[[SNIP]]
> > Is there *any* friggin' way to get a graphical console
> > on an L-class?  _I_ know that any important/useful thing
> > can be done from a serial console--that's not the point
> > in this case for some unique and bizarre reasons.

> Is there a specific reason why an X term or X session is
> unacceptable? Other than of course having to run X in general
> but just a guess Id say the machine was up to it ;-)

The machine is definitely up to it.  Without going into
irrelevant details, it's very important to a particular
customer that this system be usable with X _on_the_console_
as in sitting down and using it without logging in remotely
over a network.  Essentially "they" bought the wrong system
to satisfy a particular customer, said customer having a
standard desktop installation that brings up several windows,
etc.

They *really* should have bought a B2000 (or I guess now
HP sells a B2100) which would have been cheaper--but what's
done is done.  I'm just trying to figure out if what they
want is do-able, or are they stuck with a combination of
A.  serial console (plus the "secure web console" crap) and
B.  Using another system as an xterm and trying to get the
	full-up desktop to pop up that way (the desktop is
	likely not going to work in the way its pointy-headed
	designers intended.)

  --Rip