[rescue] Wow

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 29 22:46:37 CDT 2002

On April 29, you wrote:
> Heh, I use any old browser I want to, and as long as I put in a high enough
> amount, I win.  No stress, no worries, and I bid LONG before the auction
> ends...
>
> I never understood it personally, but I guess some people just don't feel
> like they have a life unless they can squeeze some drama out of every last
> event, including on-line auctions.
>
> Why don't you just BID for God's sake.

  The reasoning is simple, and it has nothing to do with drama.
Sniping on eBay allows me to get the things I want as cheaply as
possible.  If I "just BID", those other guys would likely have outbid
me, and then it would've turned into a bidding war...resulting in
nothing but frustration and likely a very high ending price.

  For some, eBay is a form of "entertainment" or "sport".  For me,
it's a means to an end...if there's something on there that I need or
want, I do whatever I have to do to get it within what I can afford to
spend.  And sniping is nearly always a way to get it a LOT cheaper.

  Sure, I'd likely have won if I'd put in a $2000 bid a half hour before
the auction ended.  But you know, I really didn't want to spend that
much.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den