[rescue] Ultra1 oddity

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Apr 29 14:28:25 CDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> besides, i think -r only configures what modules to load.  the cards are
> identified at every boot and given a sequential number in the order that they
> are found.

That's incorrect.  boot -r adds new information to /etc/path_to_inst,
which maps device instances (in-use resources) to driver modules.  I know
that, in the case of SCSI discs[1], it also removes information if the
disc is no-longer present.  I don't know whether it removes network
device information or not.

Upon boot, the kernel uses this file to determin which modules to load.
I can't think of any modules off-hand that probe for devices
automagically--it all happens in /etc/path_to_inst

If "touch /reconfigure ; reboot" or "boot -r" (which do the same thing)
don't get it for you, open /etc/path_to_inst[2] in a good solid text
editor, remove all references to hme?, and then "touch /reconfigure ;
reboot".

--Jonathan
[1] Not SCSI controllers.  It'll never remove a bus/controller.
[2] Be careful about this though.  Mucking up this file can render your
    system nonfunctional.  Gleefully ignore the "NEVER EDIT THIS FILE"
    warning.