[rescue] Vaxen?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon Apr 29 11:10:19 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 08:38:13AM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> memory being so cheap, you might as well just get your system beefed up
> with real RAM and just define a RAM disk. Or maybe just get an old SPARC

i was thinking about machines with limited resources.  some machines that i own
max out on ram at a really low number.

> or feecee with a SCSI port and interface it with the SCSI bus of the
> main system, and just have part of the old system's memory act as a
> temporary storage for the main system. This would be a cheaper
> software-only solution, that might be actually doable.

well, what OS can use the scsi host adapter in target mode?  i know it's being
worked on in NetBSD for other evil plans (IP over SCSI, high speed networks
for old machines) but how soon will it be ready?  how soon could one of these
crazy hardware items be ready?  both good questions.

> Just my 2 cents, I spent another allnighter debugging VHDL code, and I
> realized by reading this thread how sick some of you are! :-)

sick?  us?  probably moreso that you could ever imagine. ;)

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --