[rescue] Ultra1 oddity

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sun Apr 28 18:26:59 CDT 2002

ok, so my firewall/nat box has four interfaces on it.  the onboard le, the SBus
FDDI card, the SBus le card and the SBus hme card.  hme is in the upper of the
two slots on the right, the le is in the lower.  the le wasn't being used, so
i pulled it out to use it elsewhere, and moved the hme card to the bottom slot
since i had to remove it to get the le card anyway.

boot.  solaris bitches about hme0 no such device and whatnot.  so i drop to
the rom and look at the device tree.  there is hme.  so why isn't it working?
so i boot again.  still no love.  then in frustration i call dave and we hash
it out on the phone for awhile.  he recommends verbose boot.  boot -v and i see
the devices probed as the machine comes up.  hme1 probes just fine.  hey, wait
a minute.  hme_1_?!?!  what happened to hme0.  plumb hme1, and look at that.
there it is.  move hostname.hme0 to hostname.hme1 and reboot.  comes up just
fine.  hme1 it is.

so what happened to hme0?  there is only one hme in the machine.  why does
solais think that this should be hme1?  i'm *VERY* confused.  luckily i got
the machine running since it's rather important to the operation of my network
but now i'm just very curious as to what could have happened.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP