[rescue] Vaxen?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Apr 28 01:30:31 CDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:21:08PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:

> Just read the NatSemi datasheets and app notes--the chip mentioned appears
> to handle handshaking, and it will do DMA, but that's about it.  You've
> still got to have a buffer.  And let's not forget you'd like this box to
> look like a drive.

> Actually, this whole SCSI target thing is interesting...I've whined before
> about the inability to get a handful of fast discrete digital I/O lines
> from my sparcs (something like the parallel printer port on a PC can be
> _very_ handy for testing embedded hardware projects).  Maybe SCSI targets
> are the way to go--build a box that's got a SCSI address and send commands
> to flip and read bits.  Hmm.

As I was driving home tonight, I was pondering building a scsi sound card
to get decent sound out of older Suns (like say an SLC).  I should try and
find the specs for the NatSemi chip and see how hard it would be.  I did
a small digital sound from a kit project once, and it wasn't too bad.

--
Joshua D. Boyd