[rescue] Core-on-a-chip [nee Vaxen?]

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Apr 27 23:02:33 CDT 2002

At 03:42 PM 4/27/2002 -0400, Nathaniel Grady wrote:
>Google on "FRAM memory" - ferromagnetic RAM. Not exactally core, but I
think it has a lot

You mean ferro _electric_.  Different stuff.  There's also work being done
on MRAM, but I don't understand how it works.

>See http://www.ramtron.com/aboutfram/aboutfram.htm (ramtron is usually the
company I hear in regard to FRAM, but as google will tell ya, most of the
big guys are at least dabbeling)

When I hear FRAM, I also think of Ramtron.  Haven't played with any yet,
but I've been meaning to.  My understanding is that endurance is getting
better, but it's still not good enough for main memory type applications.
(I'd be using it as an upgrade for I2C bus eeproms, so the speed boost
would be nice, and you can't really clock the serial interface fast enough
to run into endurance problems.)

They also make non-volatile SSI logic gates!

Seems like I once read that some of the ferromagnetic materials aren't very
IC-process friendly.

newell