[rescue] Vaxen?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Apr 27 10:38:28 CDT 2002

>> > for the same reason that core memory is still used by NASA
>> > since multi-bit memory errors could mean dead astronauts.
>>
>> Really? In what systems? Do they still specify it? I've heard that
>> assertion before but never been able to ask follow-ups. Interesting...
>
>let me dig around, i've got the info somewhere.  as far as what systems, any
>system that needs memory.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/sts-av.html

Looks like the GPC (general purpose computer), the machine running that
ultra-tested, almost-completely-bug-free software you read about, has
switched from core to semi memory in the latest hardware.

I think most satellites have gone to using metal shielding and EDAC instead
of core, and in some ways they've got it worse--much longer exposure times.

Core is still cool, but I'd be surprised if it still offers any useful
advantage (other than non-volatility) over modern semiconductor memory
devices.  'Course I had an idea years ago to build the little rings and
wiring on a chip--why thread wires when you can do lithography, and
integrate the drivers and sense amps onto the same substrate!

newell