[rescue] Onyx, sparcbook, and PPro machines

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Apr 26 22:07:41 CDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 08:05:30PM -0400, Torquil MacCorkle III wrote:
> > How is MIPSPro 7.2 vs 7.3?
> >
> > I have access to 7.2.1 and don't know if i should install that to compile
> > all nonGNU programs(for GNU i'll use gcc).
>
> it's best to use MIPSpro wherever you can.  as long as you have a full install
> of 7.2.x you can download the latest 7.3.x maint. stream from sgi's website
> and upgrade.

Most gnu code will not compile under MipsPro. SGIs compilers are very
strict (i.e. good) and they barf at most of the monstruosities that gnu
hackers write in C. However the level of optimization when compared with
gnu's stuff is significant. Then again gcc is free, so at least you can
not beat the price...