[rescue] SCSI-2 Term Q

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 26 11:38:40 CDT 2002

On April 26, Leslie Connally wrote:
> I am aware that 'it is said' that published specs for different paltforms
> (Sun Apple IBM) spec'ed different resistances for their SCSI cabling.
>
> But my question is.. Are all (not counting active v passive) [SE 50-pin
> SCSI-2] *terminators* the same (ie compatible)?
>
> If there are resisters in a Terminator, are they all the same ?
>
> Not that anyone here are apple guys, but the practical issue is: can I put
> a Sun Active ('regulated') 50-pin SCSI-2 terminator on a SCSI-2 SE device
> on an external SCSI chain connected to an Apple PowerMac.
>
> SCSI is SCSI? right?

  Plenty of folks here do Apple stuff.  But yes, SCSI is SCSI...those
termination resistances...and the transmission line impedances that
they are intended to terminate...are defined by the SCSI spec, not by
the vendors who implement SCSI in their systems.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den