[rescue] O2 graphics compared to entry-level Octane graphics?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 25 08:13:03 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 02:48:40AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> How do "onboard" O2 graphics compare to I2/Extreme and
> entry-level Octane (SI?) graphics?

I'm not sure about the Extreme.  SI doesn't do texturing without expensive
TRAM.  O2 does.  SI means it comes with a faster CPU and it does hardware
geometry.  If you don't need textures, the SI will be all round faster.
If you need textures, the SI+TRAM still might be a better choice if you
can afford the TRAM.

My fascination with the O2 stems from the huge virtually limitless textures
allowed, which have quite a few alternative uses than playing games or
running something like Blender/Maya/SI3D.

--
Joshua D. Boyd