[rescue] O2 graphics compared to entry-level Octane graphics?

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Thu Apr 25 05:02:11 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 02:44:21AM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Octane -> Can be upgraded to dual R10K relatively cheap, as long as one
> does not need textures nor video... This IS the machine, it has great
> bandwidth. Although fully loaded can get a bit hot, plus it is a bit
> noisy.

very noisy.  and quite hot.  i've got two SI boards in my Octane with a single
cpu 250, and it pushes a LOT of heat out the back.  still haven't found an
acceptable solution to increase cooling so i can put the third SI board in
without frying anything.

i wonder if i could find a pair of higher capacity, quieter fans for this
thing.  i'll have to look into that.

> I think SI might do 1600x1280.

yes it does, but unfortunately, only at 55Hz refresh.  so it's really kinda
pointless.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP