[rescue] feature vs maintenance stream

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 24 20:06:39 CDT 2002

> Maybe I am wrong but I was under the impression that maintenance release
> 5.n = Feature Release 5.(n-1)

That is incorrect.  The feature stream and maintenance streams are
entirely different products.  Feature stream is 6.5.0 + patches + new
features. Maintenance stream is 6.5.0 + patches.  Both streams have
different internal version numbers for each package.

For example, job control was introduced in 6.5.5f, I think.  I'm running
6.5.8f.  When I "upgraded" to 6.5.12m, job control was removed because it
was a feature that was introduced after 6.5.0.  This is, incidentally,
what broke OpenSSH on my machine.

Since I couldn't switch streams without 6.5.12f CDs, and I couldn't
downgrade because the streams were different, I had to reinstall from the
base OS.

--Jonathan