[rescue] Grr...no light IPX & LX...grr...

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Tue Apr 23 23:20:54 CDT 2002

Ok.  This has happened twice to me now on two different machines in two
different locations.

I had a SCSI burner station setup both at my friend's house and at
home.  The one at his house was an LX, mine was an IPX.

Both about comparable specs of RAM (at least 32meg), both were running
Debian Sparc 2.2 and both were using the latest cdrecord and dd to
copy CDs.  Attached to one is a Toshiba CD-Rom and a Ricoh 2x
burner, the other has a Toshiba CD-Rom and a Kodak PCD 200R burner.
(The IPX has a refurbished NVRAM while the LX had an original one. Not
that I think that info makes any difference.)

Now both of them have stopped working within two days of each other
with the same symptoms.

1) They stopped dead in the middle of drive action.  The LX was
copying files from a Samba connection.  The IPX was dd-ing a CD.

2) They both will not restart.  They spin up the drives but never
boot.

3) I get no serial output on either of them but I get a green light
initially then it goes off after it spins up the drives.

Is it possible to overload the IPX or LX SCSI with more than two
devices?

(IPX=2gig drive - internal, CD-Rom, burner
LX=400meg drive - internal, 18gig drive, CD-Rom, burner.)

Anybody seen this type of failure before?

Mike Hebel                       mailto:nimitz at owc.net