[rescue] Movin' on up (long)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Apr 22 15:30:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, James Lockwood wrote:

> The 450 really doesn't require that much power and cooling unless you
> stuff it to the gills with disks and PCI cards.  Mine is as quiet as the
> U30 next to it (once the OBP turns down the fans) and probably only draws
> a bit more power.

Oooh.  Someone was using their brain.  All the big-ass hardware I'm used
to (older SGI and PC) isn't that smart.  They just run the fans full blast
regardless.

> There are other minor differences (different UPA slave slot form factors)
> but nothing significant.  The E450 does look much cooler, though.  :)

No doubt there.  I think it's going to boil down to what my finances are
when I actually get ready to make this jump.  A U60 with Expert3D Lite
would probably keep me happy, but a U80 with Expert3D is probably closer
to what I actually want.  Also, the highest gfx supported[1] in the 450 is
Elite3D.

> -James [and it is damn annoying to take up and down stairs]

I think the IBM 6019/23 that I lugged up/down three flights of stairs at
Rice probably has it beaten.  The 450 is at least relatively cubical and
doesn't contain glass bits.  Still not something I'd probably want to
attempt daily, though.  I'm glad I've got a P200 now as its replacement;
it's much nicer to my back.

--Jonathan
[1] According to Sun.  I'm not willing to just buy parts and pray the
    work, unless I have really trustworthy claims that it works.