[rescue] Movin' on up (long)

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Mon Apr 22 02:46:30 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I'd consider a multiprocessor RS/6000 (as both they and the Suns have
> great bang/buck), but I'm just starting to learn AIX, and I'm
> comfortable with Solaris.  Also, I have a SunPCi (which I may swap out
> for a SunPCi II, should people start paying me enough for Win32
> development for it to be justifiable) for Windows development.

Don't bother with a multiprocessor RS/6000.  Get a 397.  They've been seen
around for about $500 lately with a half a gig of RAM, and it's a single
processor POWER2SC 160MHz.  This doesn't sound like much, but it is
roughly the speed of a dual-processor 300MHz UltraSPARC-based system, the
multiprocessor RS/6000's you'll find at a reasonable price will likely be
dual-processor PowerPC 604e's, and a single POWER2SC will be faster.  Get
a pair of GT4xi's and you have yourself a fast system with a small
footprint and good graphics.

Peace...  Sridhar