[rescue] NSOT: emacs for "vi" users....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Apr 19 21:27:46 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, April 19, 2002 at 16:50:03 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] OT: broken de-MIME-ers should be shot!  ;-)
>
> Someone needs to write "emacs tutorial for vi users".  I've got an older
> version of the ORA Emacs book, and my mind just cant grasp learning
> another editor..

What's wrong with C-h t  (i.e. the "built-in on-line tutorial")?

It should be a good introduction for beginners and "vi" users alike!  ;-)

However if you just need a quick cheat-sheet then print this page out:

	http://grok2.tripod.com/

When any recent version of emacs is started without a filename operand
you should see the following near the top of the screen to remind you
how to get help, how to get to the tutorial, etc.

	Welcome to GNU Emacs

	Get help           C-h  (Hold down CTRL and press h)
	Undo changes       C-x u       Exit Emacs               C-x C-c
	Get a tutorial     C-h t       Use Info to read docs    C-h i
	Activate menubar   F10  or  ESC `  or   M-`
	(`C-' means use the CTRL key.  `M-' means use the Meta (or Alt) key.
	If you have no Meta key, you may instead type ESC followed by the character.)

(you don't type the space shown between the `C-' or `M-' keys and the
ones after them....)

If you run it under X11 you can use the mouse and click on the menu bar
to get started with things too, but if you're a serious "vi" user now
and don't like "mousing" so much you'll want to learn the key bindings.

BTW, if you get confused and/or PO'ed about the C-h vs. Backspace
vs. DEL nonsense then never fear -- emacs is programmable and it can be
"fixed"!  ;-)

If you really are interested in emacs and have a few spare moments to
read a good story about it then I suggest this one:

	http://www.messengers-of-messiah.com/~csebold/emacs/why.phtml

It was written by a former VIM user....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods