[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 19 11:33:02 CDT 2002

On April 19, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> Now, I'm not saying this because I believe the clamp-on ammeter is
> especially exotic, but just because you had a piece of equipment
> at 15, doesn't mean THAT much...  when did you get your first
> PDP? =)

  Well, I was 15 then too...but PDP11s were still pretty expensive in
those days so it took some waiting and finagling.  I'd wanted (well,
needed) a clamp-on ammeter for some time, but they were much more
expensive than a plain multimeter.  Until I could afford it, I made do
with a power strip...I'd installed a shunt resistor in it...I used my
multimeter to measure the voltage across the resistor, then calculate
the current from there.

  Ahh, memories...I still have all the Newman Computer Exchange catalogs
that I received in those days.  I saved them all once I got on their
mailing list.  I distinctly remember one of the specials they ran on
the front page of the catalog when I was a junior in high school...a
KA630-AA (MicroVAX-II CPU board) for $10,000.00.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den