[rescue] C is hot!

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Apr 18 14:43:41 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 08:15:35 (-0400), Andrew Weiss wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] C was Cooling
>
> For me C syntax still looks like someone took some nice Pascal code,
> loaded it into a shopping cart and sent it careening into a brick wall
> in a totally inelastic collision.  It's too short-handy IMHO.  This
> codes snippet makes me cross-eyed :-P

I remember long ago when I was learning C, and already knew Pascal (and
BASIC) quite well, that C looked like chicken scratchs.  I remember
finding the original /bin/sh source and seeing Bourne's "mac.h" and
reading some of his sources and thinking that it looked a whole lot
better.  Then a grad student happened to lean over my shoulder and see
what I was ooh-ing and ahh-ing over and quickly reprimanded me for being
such an idiot and that if I was going to learn C then I'd damn well
better learn it right (i.e. by the book, i.e. k&r) and that he sure as
heck wouldn't help me with anything that looked even remotely as ugly as
the /bin/sh code was.  It didn't take me too long to see the light....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods