[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Apr 18 07:11:23 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 06:40 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>   Yeah...The thing is, in my school, the CS teacher was brilliant...but
>> she was a *MATH* teacher.  The pseudo-suits that ran the school
>> figured "ahh, computers means math!" so they dumped it on the Math
>> Department.
>
> At my HS, computer science was dumped on the -accounting- department.
> Their reasoning was:
>
>    1) Businesses use computers.
>    2) Computers, therefore, are part of business vocational training.
>    3) Computers also do math.
>    4) Accountants are business people that do math.
>    5) Computers, therefore, should be taught by the accounting
> department!

I was lucky.  I went to a math/sci/compsci magnet school for both junior
high and high school.  We had lots of classes... Software Design (Object
Pascal), Algorithms and Data Structures A and B, Discrete Mathematics,
AI (A lisp class), etc.

I actually got sick of it there... but that's because I always turned in
projects 3 days late with feature bloat... :-).  (no not like MS... they
do 3 days early with feature bloat and borken beyond belief).

Those were the days... dialing in at 2400 to do VAX pascal for every
project... (yeah I hated Think Pascal on the SE's so I used the VAX
almost exclusively.)

Andrew