[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 18 09:40:39 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:42:53AM -0400, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > > Ok... *PLEASE* stop creating arrays with dimentions from variables.
> > > You will fuck something up in the end.  Either make them variable
> > > sized float[][] and mess with the pointers, or make them fixed size
> > > float[4][4].
> >
> > How are you supposed to make variable sized float[][]s?
> > float f[][];
> > causes a compile error saying:
> > test.cc:7: declaration of `f' as multidimensional array
> > test.cc:7: must have bounds for all dimensions except the first
> >
> > Besides, how is new float[x][y] going to screw things up?  They had to have
> > some reason for making it a legal operation.
>
> I don't know what he's talking about.  I use run-time sized arrays all the
> time.

I usually don't use multi dimensional arrays that aren't a fixed size, but
sometimes it is nescessary.  I can't figure out what he is talking about
either, because the only other thing I've tried that works involves wierd
coercion of ints for use as (float*)s , and that can't be proper.

--
Joshua D. Boyd