[rescue] bsd's

Rick Hamell hamellr at heorot.1nova.com
Wed Apr 17 20:52:48 CDT 2002

> > I thought this list might be the best place to ask without starting a
> > flame war. I was wondering what the differences are between the
> > various bsd variants (netbsd, openbsd and freebsd particually). Which
> > versions are best supported on various hardware (sparc,i386 and vax).

	OpenBSD is supposed to be the most secure OS around. It's also
very out of date in several places.

	NetBSD runs on just about every architecture in existance. Or so
they'd like you to think so... It does run on a lot though.

	FreeBSD runs on PC's. Sparc is in the works and is booting! Alpha
has been dropped, I think. Mac support is on the way, but mostly in the
form of Darwin. FreeBSD's aim is to be the most stable server OS in
existance.

	Rick