[rescue] bsd's

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Apr 17 13:01:13 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 12:49, Big Endian wrote:
> Well... it *WAS* fixed a long time ago in the bsds and the commercial
> unixes.  I have replaced a bunch of redhat 7.0/7.1/7.2 boxes with
> FreeBSD and Solaris boxes.  In that experience, I have had faster
> restarts when things *DO* go down, less down time in general, and
> *MUCH* easier administration of the servers.  I honestly thing redhat
> went way downhill with 7.x and even some of 6.x.  Its true that I'm
> not running the latest version but such a "feature" as a *REAL* fs
> shouldn't be "new".

Well, i'd agree with the redhat thing.  RedHat is not a server
distribution IMHO.  If it's linux and a server, i'd choose debian, or
possibly slackware, depending on the hardware, application, etc.  But
most of the time, i'd prefer a solaris or BSD box for a server anyway.
Once again, IMHO.

	-Dan Sikorski