[rescue] DigitalServer 3305R/AS800 questions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Apr 17 11:21:28 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 09:34:17AM -0400, Chris Petersen wrote:

> Spelling correct.  And a good question, what *did* happen with Kubota?  The
> Kubota Denali was some hot stuff back in '94, we were drooling over the
> opportunity to get our hands on one at the time to try out with our
> 3000/600s & Unigraphics.
>
> However, Kubota lost it's funding and basically shut up shop back in '95.
> Here's a fairly poorly-written history highlight:
>
> http://research.microsoft.com/~hollasch/misc/kubota.html

>From that page, "(Note: this was back when SGI was only building graphics boards to put in Sun workstations!!)."

When was SGI doing that?

Also, on a related note, how "correct" are the wildcats?  Do they support a
decent number of buffers?  NT is really annoying in only supporting two.  What
if I want stereo double buffered display with a hidden buffer for picking UV
coordinates?  That's 5 buffers right there.  Cut it down from stereo, and it
is still 3, meaning that you can't use the easy route for a texture painting
program while also maintaining a smooth display.  But, that is an NT problem,
it doesn't have to be a wildcat problem.  What about things like convolution
acceration, the whole opengl imaging, accumlation buffers, etc?

--
Joshua D. Boyd