[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Wed Apr 17 08:14:53 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:42:00AM -0400, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> This is scary, but I noticed last year that I would get hot and thirsty,
> but didn't want Mountain Dew...... I wanted water, I think I'm getting
> old :-(
>
> I've been trying to drink more water, since it is good for me, but in
> the colder months it is harder to do, for me.  I've been drinking apple
> juice at work with lunch.
>
> On hot nights while surfing Ebay I can drink a single litre.  I don't
> think I can do 3 :-)
>
> Chad Fernandez
> Michigan, USA
>
> Rick Hamell wrote:
> > 	I've been working on that too... I've found that flavoring it just
> > a bit helps a LOT. Lemon or lime juice, powdered teas, Crystal Light...
> > just a bit of each, I don't mix according to the directions. I'm up to
> > three litre bottles now days. When I don't get that much I can tell it
> > fairly quickly too.
> >
> > 	Rick

Heh.  I'm in the same boat.  Ever since my wife & I started backpacking with
friends ever year I've noticed that when I get hot & thirsty I tend to crave
water, which is probably a good and intended thing.  However, when I'm just
thirsty during the day I tend *not* to crave water but other things (mmmm,
Mountain Dew...)

It helps quite a bit that at my current location the water fountain is
*much* closer than the nearest caffeine dispenser.  Hence, my natural
laziness (I could be nice and call it "conservation of movement") is kicking
in, meaning I end up getting water instead of pop...I get roughly 32-48oz of
water a day now this way.  My wife tells me you're supposed to get 64oz a
day, but of course a portion of that comes from other things.  So I keep
improving, daily.  I figure I'll get there at some point - a couple of years
ago I couldn't stand to drink water at all!

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions