[rescue] DigitalServer 3305R/AS800 questions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Apr 16 22:26:38 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 07:59:22PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
>
> >I'm convinced that the proper way to run X is X on a framebuffer driver, the
> >the linux framebuffer console, and the Xfb driver.  But doing it that way
> >kills 3D acceleration at this time because of lack of a proper /dev/3d or
> >/dev/gl, or whatever.
>
> >Of course, one part of the question is how to prevent the windows crashing
> >video drivers in kernel space problem.  But then, this might not be such a
> >problem if more people could debug them.
>
> If all that horsepower on the graphics cards was just a little more
> general-purpose, you could put the x-server there.

I happen to have just the right video card for doing that.  A card based
on one a TI TMS34020.  I even have all the docs.  One of these days I will
try hacking it.

But, really, I don't favor that plan.  Sure, asymetric multiprocessing sounds
like a cool hack, but it makes life a lot more complicated.  Sure, just running
an X-Server isn't to bad, but what if you want something more general?

--
Joshua D. Boyd