[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Apr 16 18:30:56 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 05:26:35PM -0700, Rick Hamell wrote:

> 	I've been working on that too... I've found that flavoring it just
> a bit helps a LOT. Lemon or lime juice, powdered teas, Crystal Light...
> just a bit of each, I don't mix according to the directions. I'm up to
> three litre bottles now days. When I don't get that much I can tell it
> fairly quickly too.

when i'm at work i fill up a gallon pitcher of water and a make sure to drink
the entire thing before it's time to go home.  i've been slipping with that
one lately though. ;)  i do need to drink more water while at home though.
coffee isn't a good idea though. ;)

many years ago, i used to spend a lot of time working for my dad (if i had more
free time and lived closer i would still do it, i loved working there).  he
has a small pretzel factory in Reading, PA.  oven is old, brick, oil fired and
large (45' long, 8' wide and 20' high) and runs at 450 degrees.  i remember
stepping outside into the 95% humidity 120 degree city weather and thinking
how nice and cool it was out that day. ;)

anyway, the point is that in order to survive working there, he and i would
consume about 5-6 gallons of water between the two of us in an average 8 hour
day.  nice clean spring water (the local city water would kill you.  really)
but yeah, it gets hard to keep drinking plain water all the time.  couple
drops of lemon juice really make a difference.  but then we found the ultimate
solution.  you can buy Gatorade concentrate in a gallon jug with a pump so all
you have to do is squirt some gatorade into a glass and fill it with water.
adds flavor, and is actually designed for sweating lots, so it was perfect for
what we did.

-brian
--
"Today, put your best foot forward. If you're not sure which of your feet is
 your best foot, cut one off. Then it doesn't matter."   - www.lowbrow.com -