[rescue] DigitalServer 3305R/AS800 questions

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Tue Apr 16 07:54:33 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 04:00:34AM -0400, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:

> > > I meant which IBM card was made by Intergraph.
> > Maybe this is a missunderstandig...
> > I don't know. You are the IBM head. I know only about the DEC cards. So
> > when you know that IBM has something similar...
>
> Ah.  I misunderstood.  We were talking about the weird fact that he had
> found an Alpha with an IBM POWER GXT250P RS/6000 video card in it.  I
> believe the GXT250P is an IBM RGB420 chipset.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

Actually, several of the nicer Intergraph cards used IBM chipsets, so that
may help explain the confusion.  In particular, IBM's RAMDACs were/are very
popular for high-end video applications.

Of course, the are several other OEMs besides Intergraph (themselves at the
time just an OEM) that make use of IBM's graphics chipsets as well.  Being
that this is a Digital Server 3305, it falls in the old white-box NT lineup.
They used a bunch of different make video cards for those, so it could be
from any number of manufacturers.

BTW, for those that didn't know/realize it, the nice Digital cards were made
by Intergraph, from a couple of different lineups of cards, in particular
the Wildcat.  Intergraph spun the Wildcat business off back in about '97 or
so, and since then it's been acquired a couple of times and is now owned by
3D Labs.  They *still* OEM cards for several manufacturers.  Based on the
specs I've seen, the new Sun card may very well be a Wildcat 6xxx series
card, not sure.

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions