[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 15 21:21:49 CDT 2002

On April 15, Michael Schiller wrote:
> Perhaps you can answer a question for me. In my new computer room (and
> office), a 10x16 room in a house with NO central AC, what size wall
> shaker (wall mounted AC for you non-floridians) do you think I'll need?
> It's going to have my SC2000, SS1000, an SSA or 2, my old SS690 case as
> rack space for routers, switches, etc., SS670 with the matching disk
> expansion box, with a Tektronix IIIpxi sitting on top of both of these,
> a Classic, and an LX on one side of the room, and on the other is my
> desk with a U30 inside the desk (this is an older oak 'roll top'
> computer desk that hides the tower style computer inside it) a U1E/200
> on the desk, and a 20e20 monitor on the desk. (in this desk's config,
> the monitor is sort of surrounded, and it holds a bunch of heat inside
> the top of the desk, I used to have an exhaust fan mounted on top of the
> monitor when it was the 19" one that I got with my U5 (don't know the
> model # of that one, it's the flat screen one Sun was selling with the
> U5's for a while, I currently got that one in another room on my HP
> Pavillion PC (running Solaris :) )

  As a general rule, a/c units (window or otherwise) become more
efficient as they get larger.  I don't know why that is, but it's
definitely the case.  If you go for the largest, newest unit that you
can 1) fit in the window and 2) power from the nearest wall outlet,
that's probably your best bet.  If you get an oversized a/c unit, the
compressor will run less frequently, be under less load, and last
longer, and pull less power.

  To be more exact about it, you can get a clamp-on ammeter and
measure the current consumption of each device.  Multiply this by your
(measured) line voltage to get power in watts.  Count on all of that
being turned into heat.  Apply the watts->BTUs conversion formula
(I don't remember what that is) and there's how much heat you're
producing in the room that needs to be removed.

> So far I haven't been able to turn on both the SC2000 and the SS1000, as
> my 220v UPS isn't strong enough, and I've yet to find the proper
> connector I need for the Powerware 3000RM I just bought a month or so
> ago, so I haven't had the full effect of all these heaters running all
> at once yet, should be fun. Oh, the SC2000 has 14 85mhz CPU's in it, and
> the SS1000 has 4 85's and 4 60's, so they'll throw some heat (I'm just
> not sure exactly HOW MUCH). Any thoughts you have on the subject I would
> really appreciate.

  What kind of connector does it use?

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL                          - Mr. Bill