[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Mon Apr 15 20:52:19 CDT 2002

Dave (or any others familiar with this big stuff):

Perhaps you can answer a question for me. In my new computer room (and
office), a 10x16 room in a house with NO central AC, what size wall
shaker (wall mounted AC for you non-floridians) do you think I'll need?
It's going to have my SC2000, SS1000, an SSA or 2, my old SS690 case as
rack space for routers, switches, etc., SS670 with the matching disk
expansion box, with a Tektronix IIIpxi sitting on top of both of these,
a Classic, and an LX on one side of the room, and on the other is my
desk with a U30 inside the desk (this is an older oak 'roll top'
computer desk that hides the tower style computer inside it) a U1E/200
on the desk, and a 20e20 monitor on the desk. (in this desk's config,
the monitor is sort of surrounded, and it holds a bunch of heat inside
the top of the desk, I used to have an exhaust fan mounted on top of the
monitor when it was the 19" one that I got with my U5 (don't know the
model # of that one, it's the flat screen one Sun was selling with the
U5's for a while, I currently got that one in another room on my HP
Pavillion PC (running Solaris :) )

So far I haven't been able to turn on both the SC2000 and the SS1000, as
my 220v UPS isn't strong enough, and I've yet to find the proper
connector I need for the Powerware 3000RM I just bought a month or so
ago, so I haven't had the full effect of all these heaters running all
at once yet, should be fun. Oh, the SC2000 has 14 85mhz CPU's in it, and
the SS1000 has 4 85's and 4 60's, so they'll throw some heat (I'm just
not sure exactly HOW MUCH). Any thoughts you have on the subject I would
really appreciate.

I know that next year when it gets to winter time, and this place is
properly finished I shouldn't need any auxiliary heat in this room :)
(although this last winter was cold, as the room is only partially
finished, and has several openings to the outside (like all around the
roof between the roof and walls, and the walls themselves are currently
only 7/8" fibreboard (or whatever that stuff they make houses out of
these days!)

--
-Mike