[rescue] LaserJet II printing problems

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Mon Apr 15 18:40:37 CDT 2002

From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
> On 2002.04.15 15:56 wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:
>
> > However, if I attempt to use CUPS to print via it's laserjet driver, I
> > get a black smear instead of text.
> Do you print text or graphics (or text in graphics mode via GS)?
> Back in the days of that machine, and the ones that claimed to be
> compatible, there was a common problem: compression. In a later version
> of HP-PCL you can use some compression on bitmaps to reduce the amount
> of data that must be transfered via the slow LPT... The symmptome of
> "the driver does compression but the printer don't understand it" was
> black smear on the left side of the paper, a bit looking like a
> histogram. The solution was to disable compression in the driver / use a
> driver for an older LJ model.

Bingo. This was the issue. I fired up emacs and deleted the compression
references (I suppose I could have tried setting the value to zero,
but...) in the CUPS laserjet.ppd. I also changed the resolutions to
match what the old gal is capable of. Restarted the CUPS system and
printed just fine.

Thank you Jochen. If I ever make it back to Germany I'll have to buy you
a liter of your prefered brew.

> tsch|_,
>          Jochen
>
> Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

William
--
You better watch out    What you wish for;
It better be worth it   So much to die for.