[rescue] Cooling (was S: 512M (4x128M) U5/10 DIMMs)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Apr 15 14:48:55 CDT 2002

> > I've got four 128meg DIMMs out of an Ultra 5/10-class box I'd
> > like to sell.  Need to buy a new window AC unit for the bedroom
> > before summer gets here..
>
> This is a problem I have.  My computer room is on the second floor of my
> house, and I need to keep the door closed to keep the cats from chewing
> through cat5 (thus far, they've avoided the nasty power cables).  So, it
> gets quite warm in that room in the summer.  My problem is that my
> homeowners assoc. will not allow for window unit AC's.  Surely, someone
> else has solved this without going and buying a second 'whole house' AC
> unit.

I have my computer room on the second floor, at the back of the
house.  I, too, have to keep the door shut because of cats (not
only chewing wires, but cat hair is unfriendly to laser printers
and clogs fans).  I am able to use a window unit as they aren't
banned by the homeowners' association.

You might want to see about a medical exclusion clause in the
association's rules.  I can't seem them restricting anything
necessary for medical reasons, and staying in a hot computer
room is risking dehydration, heat stroke, etc.

I know the FCC rules trumped any homeowners' association
rules on satellite dishes.

They don't need to know the real reason.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net