[rescue] When can we start talking about rescue stuff andnot about gasious emmisions again?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 15 00:32:17 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 10:51:07PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Probably when one of us gets a new toy.
> >

> Speaking of toy.  I recently came across a Digital Video option for O2
> machines.  What good is this for?  What could I do with it?  How-tos
> (not SGI techpubs) are fairly lacking on the internet...

The DVO has SDI inputs and outputs.  I believe it maintains the SVHS inputs
and output also, but don't buy it assuming that unless you get verification
elsewhere.  Also, I believe this is regular SDI, not HD-SDI.

The short take of usefullness is that for using regular or prosumer VCRs, there
is no benifit.  For audio work (which we have established there is very little
affordable SGI software for), it adds AES/EBU IO.  It is also great for use
with SDI cameras and VCRs.

The only way I could really see it being usefull to you over a regular AV
module is that it can be used for firewire with a SDI<->firewire bridge.  But,
such a bridge costs more than the PCI firewire card.  So, it really is only
a good deal if you want uncompressed video AND firewire, so that you can
keep the PCI slot free for a SCSI or FCAL raid.

--
Joshua D. Boyd