[rescue] DigitalServer 3305R/AS800 questions

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Apr 14 00:48:47 CDT 2002

Hi folks,

I made a pretty nifty rescue of sorts today... I always feel odd calling
it a rescue if I pay for it, but I didn't pay too much.

Anyway, I ended up with a DIGITAL Server 3305R, "500MHz Alpha processor,
2MB cache, 4GB SCSI HDD, rackmount, Windows NT 4.0 Server FR-R7F4W-AB"
with what appears to be a GXT250P video card and a Cogent quad fast
ethernet card. Threw a bank of Ultra 5 memory in and it warmed up nicely,
although it doesn't like my NEC 17" monitor very much. I'll get it hooked
to a 21" Sun and see how it goes from there. Probably going to scrap the
NT Server install and put something niftier on there, and upgrade the
disk as well.

Does anyone have spare hotswap drive brackets for this critter? I may end
up putting some Kingston hotswap bays in the CD-style bays if I can't find
them, but I'd like to use the available hotswap slots too.

Also, anyone got any spare 64meg or better Ultra 5/10 style memory in 4 pc
sets? I have some 2 pc sets I could trade if I could identify the buggers.

I'm off to check out RAID options and see if I have any white hotswap
units for this guy. I'm thinking it's been too long of a day to move
monitors at the moment, so that may wait till tomorrow.

--Rob